Raw Mango Relish is prepared during summer in Rajasthan as well as in North India. I like it so much that just a thought about it waters my mouth 🙂 I eat it along with chapati or rice or this can easily substitute any chutney or pickle and can be stored and enjoyed easily for a week. Kids will love it with parantha or puri. It is fused with flavors as it is sweet, sour and spicy all at the same time. I add freshly crushed fennel seeds, which helps to enhance the flavour of this dish.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Raw mango, peeled and cubed- 2 cups
Asafoetida- a pinch
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds- 3 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Sugar- 2/3 cup
Garam Masala- a pinch(optional)
Black salt/salt- to taste
2 tbsp oil
Raw Mango Relish. Method:
- Partially crush fennel seeds using a mortar/pestle or a grinder.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds turn little red add crushed fennel seeds, red chilli powder, turmeric and sauté for 20-25 sec on low flame.
- Now add raw mango and mix well, cook for a minute and add 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover the pan and cook till raw mango is nearly done.
- Now open the lid and add sugar, stir and simmer on low flame till launji thickens.
- Put the flame off and add Garam Masala. Mix well.
- Your aam ki launji is ready. Serve it as a side dish in any meal.
-Store it in refrigerator for consuming it upto a week.
-Adjust sugar according to the sourness you want. If you like it less sour then add more sugar.
-Instead of sugar, you may also use jaggery.