Sweet potatoes are nutritious—bake them and top with Mexican-style chickpeas. This easy baked sweet potatoes recipe also includes a garlic-cilantro yogurt, making it extra tasty.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hr
Ready In: 1 hr 15 mins
- 4 large yellow sweet potatoes (kamote), skin-on, scrubbed clean
- olive oil, to drizzle
- cilantro leaves (wansoy), to garnish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small red onions, sliced
- 2 cans chickpeas (garbanzos), drained
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons spanish paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Baked Sweet Potatoes. Cooking:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Drizzle sweet potatoes with olive oil and rub to cover each well. Place potatoes on a piece of aluminum foil, fold to seal, then place on a baking tray. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until completely soft (a small knife inserted into a potato should easily slide in).
Meanwhile, make the Mexican-style chickpeas: Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onions until soft and caramelized. Add garlic; cook until fragrant. Add chickpeas and toss. Add cumin and paprika; stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes to allow flavors meld. (If chickpeas look dry, add up to 3 tablespoons water, a little at a time, to moisten.) Adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside.
Make the garlic-cilantro yogurt: Mix together Greek yopgurt, garlic, fresh cilantro leaves, extra virgin olive oil, and salt. Set aside.
Make a slit lengthwise down the middle of each sweet potato. Top with chickpeas, yogurt, and salsa. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with extra yogurt and salsa on the side.