This section is a unique tutorial on cooking for beginners. To make the cooking process easier each page precedes the article which provides definitions of unfamiliar culinary concepts, a brief description of a particular type of food and the secrets of experienced cooks of its preparation.
The recipes themselves within each section are positioned with increasing complexity.
This section provides summary table rules, list of required kitchen tools, and basic hygiene requirements.
Everyone needs to know the art of cooking or culinary arts:
- a person entering a new stage of his life — an independent or family life;
- children who have decided to please their parents or to give them a splendid surprise, for example, help with a party meal preparation or prepare the parents a breakfast in a day off, or just decided to help their mom.
Inability to cook creates various household and everyday problems. In childhood this seems small and insignificant, but later imperceptibly transforms into a source of annoyance, begins to interfere with normal life.
To begin, let’s find out what is inside a recipe that we use as a cheat sheet when cooking dishes.
Recipe typically consists of two parts:
1) List of ingredients of the dishes with their weight, amount;
2) Description of the stages of preparation (depending on the quality of the recipe-could be detailed or not).
Sometimes the recipe includes a list of necessary equipment. And sometimes it is supplemented by video tutorial.
However, the final result depends not only on the accuracy of the sequence of food preparation, but also on many other factors that affect the quality of prepared dishes.
It is very important to what extent you own the culinary technology, what products you use. Also with what mood you start with this culinary event and how you want to be decorated and served on the table you prepared dish.
It is not necessary to start with cooking very complex dishes, if you are not familiar with cooking at all.
Here it is important to note that simple dishes can often be significantly tastier and even healthy than other more difficult ones. In fact, the better is the source of the products you use, the less preparation they require. Preparation of a good meal is a pleasure.
In some ways, the art of professional chefs is not even the cooking but the decorating the meal. Sometimes on top culinary competitions the participants (and even members of the jury) even forget that the cooks are supposed to cook the delicious meal rather than elegant sculptural presentations, and often it is unclear which food should be ate with spoon or fork, or they just feel sorry to eat and destroy the food sculpture. But this is out of scope of a fundamental misunderstanding of the essence of cooking and lack of sense of proportion.
Even the simplest dish made at home could be nicely decorated on the plate, basing on your taste and possibilities, but the way it is convenient to eat.
You must also not forget how to properly lay the table, how and in what order and at what time to serve the meals. If you take care of those who taste your meals, those issues are dealt with on the basis of simple common sense. The main thing is that the food should be convenient for eating, cute and timely served, especially when serving hot meals.
Table lay out and proper serving of dishes
- Festive table should be definitely covered with a tablecloth, but if this is a regular family meal, you can use a common waterproof cover and small serviettes (including paper ones).
- The plates should be put at a distance of 2 cm from the edge of the table.
- On the right side of the plates put the cutlery in the order, that they will be used from the outside to the inside of the plate. For those who are placed on the left, the first to use should be the last left one.
- The knife blade should be put looking towards the plate and fork and spoon concave upwards.
- In front of the knife put a glass, and to the left of the plate a small bowl for salads for example.
- The rolled napkin put to the left of the dish or on a plate.
- Salt shakers should be close to each guest, so it’s a good idea to put on a big table several small salt shakers.
- you can decorate the table with modest small vases of flowers (flowers should be alive and not falling).
- When you serve the meal, it should be done from the left side of the guest, holding the plate with the left hand and the used dishes should be collected from the right side (do not put plates on top of one another right along with spoons and forks).
- the drinks are served from the right side, holding a bottle or pitcher with the right hand, to the glass standing on a table.
- The soup is served in a soup bowl with a spoon, and the broth or consommé in special with a Dessert spoon (medium size spoon between soup and tea size).
- Hot aperitifs are served on a platter, in which it was cooked.
- meat should be served chopped in beautiful slices with simply decorated garniture, salad or vegetables.
- Fish, if it is not portioned, is served on a platter with a fork and a spoon.
- Butter is served on a dessert plate together with a small knife, and the sliced cheese with a knife and a spatula.
- Bread is served sliced in a bread basket with a napkin under it.
The served table should cause appetite, not only at the beginning, but during the whole meal. Therefore, it is necessary to maintain the order on the table all the time and remove empty dishes, dirty plates and cutlery. The unnecessary things that are not required for the following dishes should also be removed from the table, for example the saltshaker before dessert.
To ensure that the meal is properly cooked, and the table is set correctly, you must have kitchen tools. You can acquire them gradually.
Necessary kitchen tools and cutlery
- Dinner set, tea set, a set of cutlery (forks, knives, spoons, spatulas), bowls, and glasses — for table service.
- It is very important to choose the right cookware for cooking. A few pots, preferably of different sizes and materials: one small —only for boiling milk (but not for storage, and for nothing more); one of stainless steel (the best and most durable Cookware) — for making cereals and for cooking meat, fish and root crops; enamelled (which we must not forget to replace sometimes when cracks and chips appear) for soups, compotes and sweet dishes; thick pots — for rice and frying.
- clay pots and Casserole are for cooking in the oven;
- stainless steel Pans or cast-iron – for frying-chops, potatoes, for cooking scrambled eggs, etc; a separate pan only for baking pancakes.
- Knives, chopper, float, colander, skimmer, strainers, cutting boards, bowls, weighing scales, measuring cup, funnel, Blender, grinder or hand mill, garlic press, porcelain mortar — for processing products.
- Sieve, roll, baking forms, confectionery Cornet- for baking.
- Jar for Jam, machine for conservation is to make jams, compotes and canning vegetables. Jam can be boiled in a good enameled Cookware (without damaging the enamel).
Not to forget about respecting the cleanliness in the kitchen while cooking. The dishes should be washed during or immediately after eating, it is faster and better washed. If the food has been burnt in the Pan, do not scratch or scrape it, but pour water into it, add a little baking soda and leave for a while, then it is cleaned easier.
You must use different cutting boards for raw meat, vegetables, cheese, bread, which must be thoroughly washed after use.
Important note. It is better to use wooden or plywood boards that should be greased with sunflower oil immediately after the purchase from all sides (sunflower oil polymerizes, that means “dries”) with breaks between greasing of 4-6-12 hours (depending on the absorption). Then leave the new cutting board for 3-4 days just to “dry up”. After such processing the wooden Board will lose its porosity, will be easy to clean and will become practically “eternal”.
Proper selection of dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner
Many of us are used to drink coffee in the morning. This is good for those who do not have health problems, which as we know “is not eternal.” So better take care of it in advance. It is much better to change the coffee habit. In General terms, many harmful alkaloids are contained therein, so it is better to replace it firmly by strong fresh tea, which, by the way, contains much more caffeine than coffee.
Breakfast must be rich and abundant and should contain up to 30% of the daily diet. You can prepare any dish of boiled meat or fish and vegetable salad, Cook porridge or pasta with cheese or with a tasty sauce. In addition, you should drink your cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate, cheese, butter or jam.
Lunch is usually the main portion of the daily ration, it must be satisfying. To increase appetite various manuals recommend starting with appetizers (whether it is worth raise artificially the number of calories and then fight obesity-is a separate issue).
Snacks can be a variety of salads, fish (smoked, salted, etc.), fresh or canned vegetables. It may be a hot liquid dish, for example soup (but depending on your taste and totally optional) —meat soup, fish one, vegetables or milk soup.
Objective data show that liquids while eating only hinder digestion artificially filling the stomach, but diluting gastric juices. To digest food, the body starts to secrete gastric juices in excess in order to achieve the desired concentration, that may be too much for digestion of the food, but because it adversely affects the mucous membranes of the intestine.
In healthy eating (which is especially well known by sportsmen) it is not recommended to drink copiously in less than 30 minutes before a meal or within the next 30 minutes after.
The main meal during the lunch can be steamed, fried or boiled meat, fish and vegetable dishes. You should then take any dessert as fruits, puddings, pastry. Instead of drinking tea is much better to drink compote or soft juice. Most importantly, listen to your tastes and your body; eating tasteless (and therefore unhealthy) products as well as overeating, harms our health.
There is a very famous proverb that says — “give your dinner to an enemy.” Actually the balance adult nutrition is not daily, but weekly. So dinner should be on appetite. For example, in the Navy for dinner, apart of the main course and a dessert are also traditionally served nice hearty soups. The salads are also can be served for dinner, as well as pickles, egg dishes, and vegetables. However for somebody will be just enough to take for dinner a yogurt.
You can note that in summer light cold dishes are more suitable, and in winter — rich hot ones.
To help you master the process of cooking, the recipes in each section are arranged by the complexity (from the simple, then to more difficult).
All products in the recipes are based on 4-6 servings.
For those who are not familiar with the concepts of cooking in each section will be given a brief description of the types of dishes and their preparation tips.
Start cooking any dish only after sufficient study of the entire recipe.
Proceed in order, and you will succeed for sure.